Acklam Lodge 6248

ACKLAM LODGE 6248

NAME
Acklam 6248
ESTABLISHED
1946
MEETINGS
2ND FRIDAY SEPT-JUNE. 1ST FRI DEC 7PM
INSTALLATION
April 5pm

In the year of 1946 the Teesside area saw the return of those servicemen who had served their country during the war.
At this time Middlesbrough had 5 Craft Lodges and it was clear to local freemasons that the town was in need of another Lodge.
At that time the docks, shipbuilding yards and the wharves were being worked to the limit of their capacities.
Those 36 founding brethren of the Lodge had connections here, but were joined with competent members from both engineering and commercial life of Middlesbrough. Indeed the founding Worshipful Master, John Harry Thompson, was the editor of a local newspaper. He was a past master of North York Lodge.

The founding members set out to form a new Lodge to be named ‘Acklam Lodge’, taking the name of that district of Middlesbrough belonging in the past to the Hustler family which merited a mention in the Domesday Book!
The Coat of Arms of the Hustler family was adopted as the Lodge Crest.

The Consecration of the Lodge was held in the Cleveland Technical Institute on Saturday 23 March 1946. It was conducted by the Most Hon The Marquess of Zetland the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master, assisted by W Bro Sir William Crosthwaite, PGD Assistant Provincial Grand Master. There were 191 members present at the Ceremony.

Thus Acklam Lodge, No. 6248, came into being in 1946.
At the first meeting of the Lodge on 12th April Mr. Albert Wastell, a Cargo Fleet Iron and Steel saw man, was initiated. Another 3 other local initiates were balloted for, together with 5 joining members.
Albert went on the serve as Worshipful Master in 1960.

Currently the Lodge has 42 members ranging in age from 24 upwards and we meet 10 months of a year.

Acklam Lodge website – acklam6248.co.uk